The Mesmerising Meghalaya Backpacking Trip |Muddie Trails
February 23 | 1PM
Guwahati International Airport
There are many reasons Meghalaya is called heaven on the earth.
The mighty mountains filled with dense forests & interspersed by misty valleys are just the beginners.
Amazing waterfalls & pristine rivers make your journey soothing, fill your mind & body with excitement & joy.
The icing on the cake is the wonderful local culture, the beautiful people & their warm reception where ever you set your foot!
Put everything together, it's a unique experience you will cherish for the rest of your life!
Muddie Trails brings it all on a platter for the traveler in you!
Come, let's experience the magical world together!
Schedule and itinerary
Day 1 Saturday 23rd Feb:
- Meet at the arrival terminal of Guwahati Airport before 1 PM.
- Drive from Guwahati the bustling capital city of Assam to a cooler and greener Meghalaya. On the way, you will get a glimpse of the beautiful Umiam Lake, make a quick stopover to take pictures and a quick snack.
- We won’t be entering Shillong but will be taking a detour and reach Mylliem and set up our Camp for an overnight stay (Pitch our own tents/Stay in Dorm)
- Enjoy the local food, sit by the campfire and gaze at a million stars indulging in some enticing. conversations.
Day 2 Sunday 24th Feb:
- Start an early day -6 AM- with a quick breakfast at the campsite and head out on a historical trail, this 16-km trek is a part of the famous horse cart track that was built by David Scott a British officer during early 1800s
- Duration: 4-5 hours, 16 km
- Difficulty: Easy to Moderate. Gradual descent for 1 hour followed by a flat walk for about 2-3 hours. Gradual ascent for the last 1 hour.
- Things to carry: 2 liters of water, snacks, and some packed food.
- Reach back to the campsite by evening and freshen up and call it an early day with sumptuous local food.
Day 3 Monday 25th Feb:
- Start an early day -6 AM- with quick breakfast at the campsite and leave for Mawnylong, Asia's first cleanest village but what is more enticing to see there is the Matriarchal society working in perfect harmony.
- Visit the living root bridge at Riwai and hike up to Nowhere village to get a glimpse of our neighboring Bangladesh. Lunch at Riwai.
- A quick stop at Dawki, enjoy boating gaping at the river bed and moving fish through one of the clearest river waters and reach Shnongpedang by evening.
- Setup our camp (Pitch our own tents) and enjoy the evening with campfire, music, local food and loads of fun.
Day 4 Tuesday 26th Feb:
- Start a lazy day with a swim in the fresh cold waters of Umngot river, have breakfast at our campsite.
- Shnongpdeng is blessed with a topography that beckons every nature lovers to enjoy camping, angling, rock climbing, cliff jumping, zip lining, snorkeling, scuba diving, and trekking. (activities at guests expense)
- Cool off the activity loaded day with food frolic and barbeque at the campsite with loads of music and masti.
Day 5 Wednesday 27th Feb:
- Start an early day and head to the breathtaking Krangsuri waterfalls and swim in the fresh cold waters, have breakfast and freshen up.
- Leave for Shora enjoying the breathtaking landscapes of Scotland of the east. Lunch en route.
- Catch up with some breathtaking views and sunset over the Sohra Hills. Call it an early night with sumptuous local food.
Day 6 Thursday 28th Feb:
- Start an early day -5 AM- and begin our journey to the Tyrna village (in Cherrapunjee) which acts as the base point for the double-decker trek.
- Have breakfast at Tyrna and start climbing down 3000 steps, and reach your the double-decker living root bridges. Take a pit stop at Nongriat village, recuperate our energy and head out into the wilderness and witness fascinating fairy pools and umpteen waterfalls and reach rainbow waterfalls.
- Enjoy the trek while keeping track of time as we have to trek all the way back to Shora by evening.
Day 7 Friday 1st Mar:
- Wake up, enjoy breakfast and then pack your bags for the return journey to Guwahati.
- The long drive through the hilly terrain will have numerous viewpoints and local souvenir stores, you could stop and admire the spots as long as you have time to make it for your flight back home.
- Arrive at Guwahati by afternoon and bid goodbye to the northeast.
- Dedicated tour/trek guide throughout the trip
- Airport pick up and drop at Guwahati
- All local transport in a dedicated vehicle throughout the trip
- All permits and guide fees etc for all scheduled activities.
- Basic vegetarian local breakfast, and Dinner.
- Accommodation in dormitories/shared tents and/or camps.
- Entry tickets for scheduled activities
- Trekking fees for a couple of scheduled treks
- Campfire multiple times
- Boating on Umngot river
- Lunch on all days
- Any personal shopping or purchases
- Any snacks/aerated drinks/water bottles/beverages etc.
- Fees or tickets for any unscheduled activities
- Expenses towards the repeat of any activities
- Any expense that is out of the scope of the itinerary
- Any fines or duties levied by local authorities for any misconduct
- Any fees or charges levied towards the use of your personal photography equipment.
- Any exigency purchases made during the stay
- Charges towards any medical emergencies during the trip.
- Tents will be provided on 3 and 4 Sharing basis
- Washrooms would be common at all camping sites where we pitch tents
- Twin Sharing Tents can be provided at an Extra Price of Rs. 500/- per person per day on prior notice subject to availability
- Dorms will be provided with 5 or 6 people sharing basis.
- Twin Sharing rooms can be provided at an Extra Price of Rs. 1,000/- per person per day on prior notice subject to availability.
- This is gonna be a backpacking trip where the facilities would be basic but the experience would be wonderful
- Travelers are expected to sign a waiver form before starting the trip
- By paying the registration fee you are giving unconditional acceptance of the Terms & Conditions mentioned in the link.
Things to carry
- Valid Identity Proof with an address (Passport / Adhaar Card).
- 2 Passport Size Color Photographs
- Good Water Bottles(not the disposable ones)
- A light-weighted Rucksack or Backpack, and a smaller daypack
- A good pair of trekking shoes, and a pair of flipflops
- Thermal Inners, Fleece Jackets, and warm clothes
- Raincoat/poncho(Just in case)
- Personal clothing, Track pants, shorts, Towel, napkins
- Cap, sunglasses
- Camera, Binoculars (if you choose to)
- Toiletries Sunscreen, Moisturizer, Light towel, Lip balm, Wet wipes, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer etc basing on your personal needs.
- Extra Polythene Bags (To segregate used/ unused garments, wet/ dry clothing)
- Any medicines that you may feel necessary.
- Mosquito repellant
- Energy Drinks, Juices, Snacks & Biscuits to munch on (can be purchased over there too)
Feel free to contact our organizers (8197949010 or 9827032009) if you have any doubt. We are happie to help you :)
Terms & Conditions of Muddie Trails
- No alcohol & smoking during Treks & adventure activities. There would be separate window and space (usually at night) to have these at campsite/homestay for interested people
- No Luxury. We assure awesome memories every trip, but not awesome facilities! We provide basic facilities in terms of food, travel & accommodation.
- The itinerary is fixed. No special requests to change itinerary/schedule are permitted
- Absolutely No littering during our travels. We swear to protect our environment.
- Co-operate with the organizer(s) in following the schedule set for the day (especially getting up and getting ready in the morning). This will ensure travelers won't miss out on the real fun part - that is traveling.
- Every traveler is responsible for his/her for your own safety while traveling with Muddie Trails. Don't indulge in any illegal or silly activity that causes harm to you or fellow travelers.
- Every traveler is expected to sign a liability/waiver form given by the organizer(s) after boarding the vehicle that discharges Muddie Trails of any unexpected incident like injury/death/theft etc.
- Unexpected situations: It may happen we do not cover all the places mentioned in the itinerary because of unpredictable reasons like bad weather, wild animal presence, abrupt blocking of sites by the police/forest department, delay in travel because of an issue with our group itself, traffic conditions etc. In most cases, if the time permits, organizer(s) will take travelers to an alternative place. But in some cases, we may have to skip a place altogether.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other. Avoid discussing sensitive matters like sex, politics and religion/caste/race.
- Using foul or abusive language, eve teasing, arguing with fellow travelers/organizer(s) and/or involving in physical assault will not be accepted and will stand a chance of being deserted by Muddie Trails.
Booking fee of 5000 is non-refundable.
The “Offbeat” theme of Muddie Trails
Muddie Trails provides real offbeat experiences for the travelers like trekking, hiking, camping, bonfire, adventure activities, barbecue, visiting, exploring and experiencing the less known but awesome destinations that are not crowded with tourists. We do NOT take travelers to a tourist place unless it is required as a "filler" in the itinerary between two offbeat places. Travelers are requested to refrain from asking our organizers to take them to ABC temple or XYZ church. The itinerary is already decided and posted based on our offbeat theme. The organizer will only change the itinerary/schedule if any place cannot be done because of unpredictable reasons. If you have a wish list of tourist places to tick off in your mind, then probably Muddie Trails is not for you and we request you - please do not register.